Sunday, May 4, 2008

Aftermath

If anyone plans to take down the 72 oz steak at the Big Texan, I would
strongly advise against it. If you think that you're in for some
delicious Texan steak and a lot of it like I did, you are going to be
in for a big surprise. After my first bite of medium rare steak I knew
that it was going to be a lot tougher than I thought because the steak
wasn't really all that tasty. It made sense that this 72 oz only costs
72 dollars.

So it wasn't a matter of quantity anymore, it was all about the
ability to swallow whole pieces of chewy, mediocre steak because it's
the chewing and the bland taste that really makes it dreadful. At
about ten minutes left I started to gag every time I tried to knock
back a small piece of the tasteless steak with a swig of water. It
made sense that Kobayashi (the hot dog eater) trains by swallowing ice
cubes since it really is about the skill required to swallow things
whole without chewing.

All in all I was able to eat 50 oz of steak, a salad, a shrimp
cocktail, and a dinner roll. And since I stopped ten minutes early
when I knew 22 ounces of cold steak and a baked potato was going to be
impossible, we got some dessert since I had room for a couple
spoonfuls. We thought it'd be funny to eat dessert on the main stage
after such a big meal.

DK

3 comments:

Hellinjay said...

Of course they wouldn't make it easy by giving you DECENT steak.

Glad you survived and that Gottlieb is fulfilling his road trip partner duties by keeping you alive.

We should get GOOD steak O_O when you two get over here! Reunion!

tang & bolster said...

i feel like you always come out of these challenges less than satisfied...you're so close to home already! get some sweet shots of the grand canyon and let me know how the bottomless bridge is. maybe you'll get over your fear of heights.

Jenn Tippins said...

yeah cold tasteless steak does not sound fun...

woohoo Grand Canyon! Are you going to ride donkeys??? Keep us updated!